David Smith announced upgrades in web hosting service: we’ll pay $96 per year for Weebly Pro Plan, and we’ll add Pay Pal service for $60 a year to enable SAW members to pay directly on our web site in a secure way.
Sue Ellen Dubbert will set up mail Chimp for member correspondence, a free, secure and professional way to communicate.
Final report on 2012 Winter Retreat
1. Featured two paid clinicians (Ann Montzka Smelser, violin, and Linc Smelser, cello)
2. Record number of 30 teacher volunteers, including guitar
3. Record number of 17 ECC teachers
4. 49 classes, including 12 enrichment classes
5. Record 124 students enrolled--78 violinists, 30 cellists, 10 pianists and 6 guitarists
6. Financial Report prepared by Marie Pauls. Total income: $15,095; Total debits: $9,881.38. Profit: $5,213.62
7. Gave one $200 teacher scholarship
SPA Course. In January, 2013, we offered the first Suzuki Priniciples in Action (SPA) Course with Carol Tarr. 12 SAW teachers enrolled and the course was a success. Thanks for Maria Rosa-Germain for coordinating this. After some discussion we decided to offer this course again in 2015
Plans for 2014 Winter Retreat
1. Will be January 17-19, 2014 at the Inn on the Park Best Western Hotel in Madison
2. We will hire three clinicians. Rita Houk, pianist from Dallas-Fort Worth area has agreed to come. A violinist and cellist will also be asked to come. David Smith will contact Carrie Reuning-Hummel, violin-violist from Connecticut; and Renata Bratt , cellist from California.
3. The Inn on the Park will raise catering and meeting room fees but not the room rates. The Retreat Planning Team (David Smith, Chair; Sue Ellen Dubbert, Facilties Liaison; Julie Roubik, Faculty and Teacher Liaison; Jenny Burton, Communications Liaison; and Carol Waldvogel, Treasurer), recommended these fees:
Students--$90 before Nov. 1. Sibling discount of $10. $30 added for master class on a space-available basis. $100 Nov. 1-Dec. 15 with sibling discount of $10 and $30 for master class if space is available. $125 after Dec. 15, on a space-available basis, no master class available, sibling discount of $10 available.
Teacher tuition: $50 for non-SAW member; $20 for SAW member; $0 if SAW member who volunteers at the retreat.
ECC fee will be $100.
4. T-Shirt Design Contest will be held this year, awarding a free retreat tuition scholarship for winner of the best design. See the web site for details, see below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you to Kari Gunderson and David Smith for coordinating this.
5. Colleen Fitzgerald and Emily Stodola offered to teach an Early Childhood Education (ECE), Class at the retreat for 0-3 year-olds. Minimum of 8 and maximum of 15 students. Would be siblings of other students enrolled at the retreat. Will be priced at $10 per child. Need to have a parent present with the child.
6. Look on the web site for a final list of the enrichment classes and for a brochure
On August 1, David also made a report about website improvements and we pondered various issues regarding the retreat, resolved in the meeting a week later.
We discussed class offerings for the retreat. Do we have too many? Might we offer Dalcroze eurthymics or Kodaly classes for the younger students, in a large group? Who would teach this?
Jenny will ask Charlene about probable needs for enrichment classes at different levels, based on enrollment figures from our last retreat. She will give the figures to Julie to use for selecting class offerings.
Jenny Burton passed around a retreat brochure so that we could admire the revised format and offer suggestions. Kari noted that this would need to include T-shirt sizes and promised to provide these within the week. She also passed around a flier about the T-shirt design contest, condensed below.
Submit your T-shirt design for the Suzuki Association of Wisconsin Retreat 2014!
Deadline: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 for retreat January 17-19, 2014, at Inn on the Park Best Western in Madison. Like ASI in a luxury hotel.
Prize: Free tuition to the retreat! Use black ink on 8.5 X 11” white paper, and submit these as email attachments email@example.com.
· Use a music or winter theme, perhaps including violin, viola, cello, guitar, and/or piano.
· Include this text in your design: “Suzuki Winter Retreat”. Sign your name in small letters, “by ________________”. The design will become the property of the Suzuki Association of Wisconsin. (Of course, you can use it yourself.) The winning design will be used on the 2014 retreat T-shirts and perhaps the recital programs.
· Extra points for making it funny or soulful or both!
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.